Sunday, March 29, 2020

Dealing with Gestational Diabetes

Pregnant at 44 - 19 January 2020 journal entry
(25 weeks pregnant)

This week was busier than my first work week. On Monday, I went to my endocrinologist  who has been my doctor for 12 years now. I met her when I developed a very rare disease called acromegaly (story on this link) and she remarkably made the right diagnosis in 2007.

My endocrinologist confirmed this time that I have gestational diabetes, and she said I was predisposed to it due to my acromegaly history. She started me on 10 units of insulin. I started monitoring my blood sugar in December. Sadly, I had many spikes reading as high as 187, and on some days, my sugar dived to 57. After a week of insulin I still registered abnormal high and low sugar levels, tsk tsk, not good at all. 😢

I should really shift to brown rice. Maybe I’ll start next week and see if white rice has been the main culprit all along. I never thought I could have diabetes. I’m praying my gestational diabetes resolves after I give birth.

I am also praying that the ultrasound-doppler finding on some notching in one of my uterine arteries, which delivers food to the baby through the placenta, resolves in my third trimester. In the meantime, I am to take aspirin, a blood thinner, daily. 

No comments: