Monday, October 28, 2013

I Will


At church yesterday, I was humming in my mind the song “I Will” by the Beatles, which I got to appreciate after watching a tender scene from the movie “Love Affair,” where children sang it beautifully with Annette Bening. I don’t know why, but you know that moment when, out of the blue, you just realize you’re singing, whether aloud or in your mind, songs that you can’t even recall the title of. I had to look it up last night. Haha, clueless how to do the search since the lyrics slipped me totally (yikes), I typed on Safari “song sang by children in Love Affair.” And my key words did not disappoint.

It’s a song with very simple, yet very moving lyrics, and which goes with a melody so endearing especially when sang by little voices. Oh, it just tugs at the heart. I was teary-eyed just singing it (in my mind) at church. Maybe the choir and the sermon kind of set the “emote” mood.

I think the lyrics are the soul of a song. It’s the poignancy of the words, of the chorus that makes me like songs. I admire good lyricists. Sadly, music is now more focused on technical details, on the sound. It’s a relief that music from the past never leaves us, like this one:

I Will
(John Lennon / Paul McCartney)

Who knows how long I've loved you
You know I love you still
Will I wait a lonely lifetime?
If you want me to I will

For if I ever saw you
I didn't catch your name
But it never really mattered
I will always feel the same

Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love you whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart

And when at last I find you
Your song will fill the air
Sing it loud so I can hear you
Make it easy to be near you
For the things you do endear you to me
Oh, you know I will, I will

No comments: