Sunday, September 22, 2013

Box of Surprise


Who doesn’t like surprises? I do, but not totally at all times. I was happily surprised one day upon finding that a big, gray refrigerator found its way to my kitchen. I was beaming as I opened its compartments, amused that the freezer was at the bottom. And then I went to wonder what if I had been consulted on the purchase, would have I made another choice?

Oh, and then there was another day, coming home from work, I opened the front door and was greeted by three large (almost oversized) paintings mounted on the walls in three areas of our house. When we moved into our own house, the wall frames from our previous apartment (like our framed wedding picture) were stored away. For years, our walls remained white and free from clutter, except for two wall clocks. So imagine how happy I was to finally see something up on our walls, whatever those paintings were. Well, they are almost identical, of same size, with pretty much the same palette because they are by the same artist. I would have chosen differently, given the chance. But, I am happy, just the same. Really, I am not kidding, with not an iota of sarcasm there (really!).

And the surprises kept coming. One Saturday, early in the morning, a delivery truck pulled up in front of the house. I was curious, I had no idea what was being delivered to us. Surprise, surprise! It was my son’s dream TV, a huge one that came with 3D glasses.

That was around three months ago, and I’ve just realized today that it is the nicest surprise by far. My thought bubble then went something like, “Hey, do we really need a bigger one?” Add to that my dislike for 3D, and you could imagine my ho-hum feeling. So when this big box of surprise was unwrapped, I was almost faking feeling overjoyed and being pleasantly surprised.

The big screams of OMG(!) from Garrett – whose hobby was to go to Ansons and Abensons to check out the TVs, read with so much interest the brochures of different brands and to try on 3D glasses – were what really made me happy. It was a dream come true for this little man. You should have heard him say his verdict – “Dad made a good choice.” And I didn’t doubt him for a second. He knew what he was saying as he had read about all this hype over flat screen, LCD TV, and gone to the stores too many times already, not to be rightfully confident.

Since this big – how do you call it now? it used to be referred to as the tube – thin,  black-rimmed rectangular thing dominated our living room, we have watched quite a number of movies. We pull out boxes of DVDs stashed away under the bed, and pick the ones we want to watch again. This big thingy has since become the center of our bonding time.

We had watched all of Harry Potter’s seven films spread out over the weekends, as a treat for the kids for doing their school work, particularly Garrett who has read all the books, but has not watched all the films yet. Harry kept us in the house, enjoying weekend downtime.

Garrett now professes that he loves films. Gab for her part loves action movies like Mission Impossible, Jackie Chan's, and sci-fi films. It is funny when she laughs belatedly, most often just going along with everyone and laughing post-facto. They also both love and laugh out loud at Charlie Chaplin. We watch old movies like To Kill a Mocking Bird (1962); both liked it.

Today, we again had a movie marathon: You’ve Got Mail (1998), Forrest Gump (1994), and Hachi – A Dog’s Tale (2009). We had to fast-forward some scenes in Forrest Gump, but save for that, these are all good-feel movies that impart life lessons. 





I love movies with well-written, witty, engaging, soulful script - with quotable quotes that inspire, tug at the heart, and get you dreaming, hoping, loving... 

Forrest Gump shared a lot of wisdom from his Momma:
- Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
- You've got to put the past behind you before you can move on.
- Dying was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't.
- You can tell a lot about a person by their shoes, where they go, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes, I bet if I think about it real hard I can remember my first pair of shoes.





Hachi is based on a true story of a dog’s loyalty to his master. Hachi (the dog) was adopted by Prof. Parker Wilson (played by Richard Gere) whom he found at a train station. The dog would walk with his master going to the station each morning and await his return from work each evening. One day, the master didn’t return because he died while teaching at the university. Hachi kept on with the daily routine, awaiting the return of his deceased master for nine years. The movie is clearly about loyalty and love. It made me sob, sob and sob…so I would not recommend it to you if you tear up easily like me.

*all photos grabbed from IMDB 

Ooops, I got a bit side-tracked again. Well, I just wanted to share that TV is not a bad thing for kids if it is used in moderation and for the purpose of family bonding. In our case, we allow our kids very little cartoon time. We use the TV more for watching movies, TV series (we love Suits), cook shows, History Channel, and travel shows.

I would agree that home entertainment stills centers on the TV. That’s no surprise. :-)






No comments: